Building Regulations cover:
- Structural safety of the building and new building works including the construction of stairs and roofs
- Fire safety, use of fire retardant materials and fire escape routes within the building.
- Ensuring resistance to contaminants and moisture during the building works and after completion Toxic Substances that cannot be used in the build, and what to do if toxic substances such as asbestos are discovered during the building works.
- Sound proofing and how to provide adequate sound protection during and after the build.
- Protection from falling (for builders and inhabitants and to protect people from things falling on them)
Conservation of fuel and power Access to the use of buildings for all people.
- Glazing safety Electrical safety Workmanship and materials, which includes a list of material that can and cannot be used in construction
Technical guidance for builders and architects under Building regulations also cover the creation of sustainable homes and use of greener technologies in house and building construction as well as what can and can’t be done if you share a party wall.
If you are looking to construct a new building or to renovate or remodel an existing building you will need to prepare a detailed set of architectural detailed drawings and spec documents for satisfactory regulation compliance.
When it comes to building regulations, a whole host of minor component elements also fall within this all encompassing framework. As an example; stairs even have their own entire section of building regulations. This section outlines the maximum and minimum tread depth, riser height, pitch, handrails and gaps in the balustrade.
Building regulations approval is different from planning permission and you might need both for your project.
At Re:Design Architecture, we will ensure that all plans and details drawn up for you by our architectural designers will meet all the required building regulations criteria.
In fact, it is a key part of our architectural services to ensure that whatever specialist reports or structural calculations are needed to meet building regulations and obtain regulatory approvals from your local authority, we will help provide them.
The Approved Documents have been compiled by Government to provide guidance for how each ‘Part’ of the Building Regulations can be complied with when undertaking building work (including plumbing, electrics, extensions, etc.).
You can see the full list of building regulations here: https://www.planningportal.co.uk/info/200135/approved_documents